Monday, October 24, 2011

'92 toyota- How do I keep my breaks from dragging all the time?

Took the wheel off yesterday to change fuel filter and noticed the caliper was touching the disc hard enough that it took me two hands to turn the unit. This must be cutting down on my fuel mileage and wearing out my break pads too. How do I release a little tension on the breaks?'92 toyota- How do I keep my breaks from dragging all the time?The pads will touch the rotors, this is normal. When the wheel is on and you roll the tire can it then be done with one hand? If so then the wheel will should roll for a bit. If you can`t roll it with one hand or it stops when you let go then you have a sticking brake caliper. The caliper should be replaced then. There are no adjustments that can be done to it. Good Luck.'92 toyota- How do I keep my breaks from dragging all the time?the caliper is hanging up. it looks like you need a new caliper. look at the other side to see if it,s doing the same thing.'92 toyota- How do I keep my breaks from dragging all the time?You have waited too long to change your brake fluid. If you read the manual, it tells you that the fluid must be changed before it becomes too acidic and starts to corrupt the caliper pistons. You can loosen the pistons by %26quot;exercising%26quot; them %26quot;in%26quot; and %26quot;out%26quot; with a large screwdriver to help remove the brake sludge that inhibits their proper functioning. Only use genuine TOYOTA brand brake fluid, when you change it. Anything else may cause a bad chemical reaction and further deteriorate your piston seals. Good Luck!!!